CHANNELSIDE DISTRICT - Page 1 - Harbour Island (Harbour Island / Channelside photos are from 2003-2004)
Seddon Island in the 1930's
See a more detailed history of Harbour Island back to Tampa's pioneer days and read about the Harbour Island People Mover here at Tampapix
The southeast corner of the office complex, One Harbour Place.
|It started more than 22 years ago when Beneficial
Corp. bought Seddon Island, changing its name to Harbour Island in 1981. Ground
was broken on the Wyndham Harbour Island Hotel, the Office complex and the Shops
at Harbour Island in 1983, and were completed two years later.
At the same time, Beneficial began marketing the first residential communities -- the 200 condominiums at Seddon Cove and Harbour Court -- and in 1986, the first resident moved in. The Harbour Island Athletic Club opened in 1987. Then, in 1996, everything changed. Beneficial, later absorbed by Chicago-based Household International, began selling parcels of land to various builders, which ultimately helped to diversify the island's offerings.
The north face of One Harbour Place
|The Wyndham Harbour Island Hotel is located just to the west of One Harbour place.
In the mid 90s, the Shops at Harbour Island were closed and the building was reborn as office space and renamed Knight's Point, in honor of Tampa native son Charles Knight.
Jackson's Bistro is a popular restaurant at Knight's Point. It opened on Harbour Island in 1997 and has been witness to a rapidly changing downtown Tampa.
Looking north from One Harbour Place toward the Harbour Island Blvd. Bridge. More condos can be seen being built on the right.
Click to see another view
of "condo canyon."
See Downtown Tampa as viewed from the 6th floor balcony of One Harbour Place
Looking back towards the south at One Harbour Place from Knight's Point, as we head north toward the Harbour Island Blvd. Bridge.