The McKay Family of Tampa
The portrait to the left
is from the
State Archives of Florida and is described as "Captain
James McKay, Sr., sketched by Philip Ayers Sawyer in
1938 from an old enlargement in the home of son, H.
James Sr. didn't have a son with H.C. initials. None of his sons had an initial of "H" and the only son of James McKay, Sr. with an initial of "C" was a named Charles M. McKay.
Instead, the above portrait could be another one of James McKay, Jr. Notice the resemblance to the portrait at left. James McKay, Jr. had a son named Harold McKay. Currently, it is not known if Harold had a middle initial. But if the original portrait was found in Harold's home, then it would be of James McKay JR. (James Jr. was often called "Jim" but James Sr. was usually referred to as James, so it seems.
James McKay Sr's son, Donald S. McKay, had a son named Hayden McKay. If the portrait was found in his home, then it would be of Donald S. McKay. It is not known if Hayden had a middle name.
|James McKay (Sr.) b. Mar 17, 1808, Thurso, Caithness Co., Scotland, d. Nov. 11, 1876 Tampa|
Married 1837, in St. Louis, Mo. to
Matilda Alexander Cail b. 1816 Edinburgh,
Scotland, d. 1894 Tampa, FL,
dau. of Mr. Alexander and wife Sarah Alexander. (Sarah remarried in St. Louis to a Mr. Cail and so Sarah and her daughter Matilda's surname changed to Cail.)
George McKay, b. c1839, Mobile, Ala., unmarried, d. young man, no children
Sarah I. McKay, b. 1840, Mobile, Ala. d. 1877, Tampa, Fla.
Marr. to Col. Robert B. Thomas of Ky, an officer in the U.S. Army. No children
James McKay, Jr. b. Nov. 27, 1842, Mobile, Ala. d. Sept. 1924 Tampa
|Marr1. to Mary E. Crichton, dau. of Dr. John T. Crichton,|
James Crichton McKay
b. Feb. 2, 1868. d. Nov. 23, 1961
James received his education in Tampa schools and at Emory College in Oxford, Geo. After leaving college he entered the railway mail service in which he engaged for 16 years. During that period he came into Tampa on the first train run by the Florida Central & Peninsular Railroad over its newly completed line, on Monday, May 5, 1890.
|Marr. Sept. 18, 1891 to Lillian MacDonnell of Fernandina, 3 children:|
|●||James A. McKay|
|●||Allen C. McKay|
|●||Richard S. McKay|
|2.||Harold McKay - Harold was for sometime city salesman for the Cudahy Packing Co. for the City of Tampa, then was placed in charge of the branch of that company in Key West.|
|3.||John Crichton McKay|
|4.||Frederick McKay - Unmarried as of 1915, worked as a sanitary inspector for the City of Tampa.|
|5.||Sarah Matilda McKay|
|Marr. James D. Clarke d. 1906, 3 children:|
|James D. Clarke, Jr. - Marr. Carolina M. Sharpe of Atlanta, Geo.|
|Webb Clarke -Employee of the insurance firm of McKay & Son|
|Porter J. Clarke|
|Gladys A. Clarke -Marr. Kenneth A. White of Indianapolis|
|Marr. Thomas L. Morton of St. Petersburg, Va. (Residents of Wilmington, NC.) 2 children:|
|7.||Julia McKay - d. unmarried as a young woman|
|8.||Madge Isabel McKay|
|Marr. Manuel Venancio Lastra, 1 child:|
|Marr. John O. Kirkpatrick, Jr. of Nashville, Tenn.|
|Marr2. to Helene Turton of Mass., no children|
|Marr3. to Lillian Nimms Warren of Atlantic Highlands, NJ, no children|
John Angus McKay
b. 1845, Mobile, Ala. d. Nov. 19, 1907
|Marr. 1867 Mary Jane McCarty d. 1913, dau. of Mitchell McCarty & Elizabeth Ayless Simmons|
Donald Brenham "D.B." McKay b. July 29, 1868, Tampa
D.B. McKay is one of the most
remarkable men that Tampa has produced. Growing up at a time
when there were fewer advantages of education presented to the youth
of the community than now, he overcame this handicap by energetic
application and assiduous study in private, gaining thus an education
superior to that of many men who are college-bred. He is largely
self-made, and had no cause to feel ashamed of his work as the
architect of his own fortunes.
to school in Tampa and when 14 years old started working as a printer
for the old Tampa Tribune. With the exception of one year spent
as a railroad contractor, building a branch of the South Florida
Railroad from Bartow to Fort Meade, he continued in newspaper work for
more than half a century thereafter.
Tampa Daily Times was established in 1893, Mr. McKay became foreman of the
mechanical plant. Shortly afterward he moved to the editorial
dept. and became city editor, and later editor-in-chief. The Times became the
leading afternoon paper of the state of Florida. Late in 1898 the
paper got into financial difficulties and Mr. McKay borrowed enough
money to buy controlling interest. In 1922 he bought all the
remaining outstanding stock. He served the paper as editor and
publisher from 1898 to 1933 when it was acquired by David E. Smiley
and Ralph Nicholson.
The success achieved by this paper is largely due to the energy and
ability displayed by D.B. McKay.
D.B. McKay was a man of
wonderful grasp of mind, tremendous energy and tenacity of purpose as
well as possessing the administrative faculties in superlative degree.
This is evidenced by the wonderful success that has attended his
conduct of the office of mayor of the city of Tampa. Mr. McKay
served the City of Tampa as mayor for 14 years and as
mayor-commissioner for 3 months. He was elected in 1910 for the
first time as mayor for a 2-year term, re-elected in 1912 for a 4-year
term and and re-elected again for the same length term in 1916.
In 1928 he was elected to serve as mayor-commissioner and continued in
office 3 months until a new city charter became effective, abolishing
the city manager form of government which he had long opposed.
In the meantime, he was elected again to serve for a 4-year term.
Mr. McKay also served 3 terms as jury commissioner for the county. Greater and more numerous
public improvements were carried either to completion or to an
advanced stage of progress under his administration, and the city grew more rapidly and attained a higher stage of greatness than
in any other period of twice the length.
later years he spent much of his time compiling historical data about
Hillsborough County and Flroida and has used much of his material in
his "Pioneer Florida" series which had long been a feature of the
Tampa Sunday Tribune. He was named county historian in late 1949
by the newly-created Hillsborough County Historical Commission.
was awarded the honorary degree of doctor of humanities by
Rollins College and was decorated by the late King Alfonso of Spain
with the Order of Isabel la Catalico. In 1944 he was awarded the
Cervantes Medal by the Hispanic Institute of Florida. Because of
his interest in the Seminole Indians, he was made one of their
honorary chiefs, and named Chief White Heron.
During World War I he was appointed by Pres. Wilson to serve as chairman of the President's Advisory Committee for Southwest Florida to furnish confidential information regarding individuals being considered for responsible positions in various phases of the war effort.
was a director of the First National Bank and past president of the
Tampa Board of Trade, predecessor to the Chamber of Commerce. He
was one of the founders and trustee of of the University of Tampa, was
past exalted ruler of the Elks, and an honorary member of Bay Lodge,
Knights of Pythias, and L'Unione Italiano.
note: Due to the fact that Mr. McKay kindly edited the manuscript for
this book, I have refrained from mentioning many more of his
achievements which otherwise would have been included in his
Marr. Oct. 7, 1900 to Aurora P.F. Gutierrez, dau. of Gavino Gutierrez, a
pioneer of Tampa's Spanish colony, who took a leading part in the
establishment of the cigar industry in Tampa.
|●||Mary Helen McKay - Marr. John K. Martin|
|●||Ada Marion McKay|
|●||Celestina McKay - Marr. G.E. Burnett|
|●||Mary Jane McKay - Marr. J.L. Ott|
|●||John Angus McKay|
|●||Robert Angus McKay|
|●||Donald B. McKay, Jr. d. before 1950|
|●||Margaret Almeria McKay d. before 1950 - Marr. Charles M. Guyton|
|●||Petronila McKay, d. before 1950 - Marr. Fernando Gallardo|
Charles Angus McKay b. 1873
Charles A. McKay attained eminence in mercantile life, occupying the position of vice-president of Maas Brothers, Inc., He was president of the Tampa Merchants Association for the second term, , the Elks and of various other leading social organizations.
After attending public schools, he worked a short time as an apprentice printer and then became a clerk for the South Florida Dry Goods Company, then one of Tampa's leading stores. In 1893 he went north and for 4 years worked for the Joliet Dry Goods Co. in Joliet, Ill.
Becoming homesick for Florida, he returned to Tampa in 1897 and went with the Maas Brothers department store, the largest dry goods establishment in the South. He continued with the company in various positions and was VP for many years until 1929 when he resigned and became general manager of Bentley-Gray Dry Goods Co. He continued as an officer of Maas Realty Co. and became its president after the deaths of Abe and Isaac Maas, his life-long associates.
He was widely recognized as one of Tampa's leading citizens, having been active in community affairs for more than a half century. He was one of the organizers and the first president of the Tampa Retail Merchants Association which in 1912 formed the Tampa Carnival Association to develop Tampa as a trading center by staging parades, street dances and Farmers Day.
With J. Edgar Wall, C.R. McFarland, J.A. Griffin and A.L. Allen, Mr. McKay organized the South Florida Fair in 1915. In 1933 the fair was reorganized and named the South Florida Fair and Gasparilla Association. Mr. McKay served as VP of the association and was a lifelong member of the Gasparilla Krewe and grand marshal of the parade for many years.
He was co-chairman of the Better Business Association of Florida, established in 1935, and retained the post until his death. He was an active civic leader of the Interbay area, and as president of the board of supervisors of Interbay Drainage District had an important part in refinancing district debts at a saving of millions of dollars to property owners.
Mr. McKay was a member of St. Andrews Episcopal Church and senior warden for 17 years. He was a director of the YMCA for many years; a charter member of Tampa Rotary Club, and a member of the Tampa Chamber of Commerce, Hillsborough Masonic Lodge, Egypt Temple of the Shrine, Tampa Elks Lodge, prominent and zealous member of the Knights of Pythias, Tampa Yacht and Country Club, and Palma Ceia Golf Club, and was active in the Old Timers Association.
Mr. McKay was stricken while at the annual Old-Timers Reunion in Plant City on Oct. 20, 1949 and died 8 days later.
|Marr. 1912 to Irene May McKeague, 3 children:|
|●||Mary Irene McKay - Marr. David A. Falk, son of Offin Falk|
|●||Eleanor May McKay - Marr. Jack Peters|
|●||Charlotte Anne McKay - Marr: Victor DeBree|
Mitchell F. McKay
Mitchell was active politically in Hillsborough County for many years and held a number of political positions.
|Marr. Jane Givens, dau. of Thomas Wilkes Givens and Angie McNeill, 3 children:|
|●||John Wilkes McKay|
Kenneth Ivor McKay b. 1881 d. 1945.
Kenneth graduated from Washington and Lee University in 1904 with an LL.D. degree and began practicing law at once in Tampa. He became one of the city's leading attorneys and at the time of his death was senior partner in the firm of McKay, Macfarlane, Jackson and Ferguson. He was VP and director of the Tampa-Clearwater Bridge Co., and a director of Lykes Bros., inc., Lykes Bros. Steamship Co., Tampa Interocean Steamship Co., J.W. Roberts & Co., and Berriman Bros., Inc.
|Marr. Nov. 21, 1917 to Olive Perry d.1912, 4 children:|
|●||Kenneth Ivor McKay, Jr.|
|●||Shirley Louise McKay|
|●||Herbert Gifford McKay|
|●||Howell Angus McKay|
|Marr. Charles C. Woodward, 4 children:|
|●||Charles C. Woodward, Jr.|
|Marr. Lawson Magruder, 1 child:|
|●||Charles Lawson Magruder|
Donald S. McKay b. Aug. 8, 1846 Chassahowitzka Bay, Hernando Co., Fla.
While with his father on a blockade running trip early in the Civil War, he was captured by the Federals and imprisoned at Fort Lafayette, New York Harbor. When released, he enlisted in the Confederate Army and served until the end of the conflict. (See "Capture of the SS Salvor" here at TampaPix.) He then studied navigation and followed the sea for many years. During the mid-1880s he purchased eight acres of land on the west side of the river directly opposite the tract later purchased by Henry B. Plant as the site of the Tampa Bay Hotel. He built his home on a portion of the tract and subdivided the remainder.
|Marr1. Mary M. Collier, dau. of Rev. W.E. & Sara E Collier. No children|
|Marr2. Jan. 10, 1872 Martha A. Hayden, dau. of Jesse J. and Susan D. (Crockett) Hayden, pioneer west side settlers.|
|1.||Hayden McKay - Marr. Maude Harris|
|2.||Marion A. McKay|
Martha A. McKay - Marr. John A. Porter
William George McKay - Marr. Annie McDermott
|5.||Susan May McKay d. unmarried|
|6.||Donald S. McKay, Jr. - Marr. Nellie Staley|
Marion E. McKay
|Marr. William Randolph of Tallahassee|
|Sarah Randolph - Marr. William A. Carter of Tampa|
Matilda McKay d. Sept 1893
|Marr. Dr. John P. Wall (his 2nd marriage), son of Judge Perry Green Wall & Nancy Hunter|
|Charles "Charlie" McKay Wall|
Almeria Bell McKay, d. Oct 1926
|Marr. 1874 Dr. Howell Tyson Lykes of Brooksville, son of Frederick C. Lykes and Margaret Howell Tyson.|
|8 children: (The seven "Lykes brothers")|
|1.||Matilda (Tillie) Lykes|
|Marr1. 1897 Solon Brinton Turman d.1911, son of Simon Turman, Jr. publisher of the Florida Peninsular newspaper (son of Probate judge Simon Turman, Sr.) & Meroba Hooker (dau. of Wm. Brinton Hooker & Amanda Hare.)|
|● Almeria Turman b.1898, Marr. Henry C. Holmes|
|● Solon Brinton Turman, Jr. b.1900|
Marr2. Aft. 1911 D. Collins Gillett, first mayor of Temple Terrace and President of Temple Terrace Inc.
|2.||Frederick E. Lykes|
|3.||Howell T. Lykes, Jr.|
|4.||James M. Lykes|
|5.||Lipscomb G. Lykes|
|6.||Thomas M. Lykes|
|7.||John W. Lykes Marr. Matilda M. Nabors|
|8.||Joseph T. Lykes|
Charles M. McKay b. Jan 3, 1857 d. Sep 15, 1877